The most famous of the mass extinctions is the Cretaceous - Tertiary mass extinction- because it is when the dinosaurs became extinct. This was the most recent large-scale mass extinction and has been well documented. Mass extinction events are not rare and some environmentalists and biologists believe that we are in the middle of another major mass extinction event, fuelled by mans effect on the environment.
5 major mass extinctions
- The Ordovician-Silurian boundary
- an event towards the end of the Devonian
- Triassic-Jurassic boundary
- Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary
- Permian- Triassic boundary